Thursday, August 10, 2017

(Not Your Average) School Supply Roundup

     Last scheduled post while I finish up my vacation!

     Who doesn't get excited about school supply shopping? Maybe I just hang around people who are equally as weird as I am, but there's nothing quite like stocking up on fresh supplies and cracking into a new notebook on the first day of the semester. If you read my last post about the two books every college student needs to read, you'll know that one of my favorite tips from Cal Newport's How to Win at College is to invest in high-quality school supplies.

     Why invest in nice school supplies? For one, I don't take notes on my laptop; the temptation to hop on over to the Internet (i.e. social media and blog-skimming) is too strong, and I feel like I retain information better when I write it down. Buying higher-quality school supplies makes you approach note-taking a lot more seriously, because you spent good money on a nice notebook. Quality school supplies also tend to be lighter (a win for your back) and more durable than your standard $1 spiral notebooks. Durability is huge for me since I'll be saving a lot of my notebooks from accounting/business classes for several years before using them to study for the CPA exam.

     Try using nice supplies for just one semester because I promise you'll be hooked. I've slowly been converting been converting my friends; two of them are using the same notebooks as me now (I'm a Moleskine addict), and I've gotten dozens of compliments from classmates, too.

     As far as what to carry those supplies in, I'm not one of those girls who goes to class with a cute, chic little tote bag. I don't like to go back to my dorm room just to grab textbooks/notebooks throughout the day, so totes just aren't practical. Although I sometimes use a tote (usually my Longchamp Le Pliage Large Tote) if I'm heading to a meeting or headed to the library on a weekend, I've used a backpack all throughout college and don't plan on changing my ways anytime soon-- you just can't beat how much stuff they hold + how much more comfortable they are!

     With that advice out of the way,  I'm sharing a round-up of my favorite cute, high-quality school supplies, in addition to some resources for getting them at a more reasonable price.

 BACKPACKS: L.L. Bean Original Book Pack no tricks here, this is one of the best backpacks in existence and it's only $30 (shipping is always free + additional 20% until Aug 27) // Madeline & Company Slim Backpack super cute + very active on social media (lots of preppy bloggers have rep codes for 15% off-- try @dailydoseofprep on Insta or see if your favorite blogger has a code) // Longchamp Le Pliage Large Tote this tote is pricey but will last a lifetime (you can send it back to Longchamp for free repairs) and the linked retailer offers free shipping + occasional coupons

NOTEBOOKS: Moleskine Cahier Journal (Set of 3), Extra Large, Squared my personal favorite; buy from Amazon or look for them at Costco for the best price // Leuchtturm Notebook Composition (B5) Ruled, Softcover Moleskine's slightly smaller, slightly cheaper rival (also check out the Jottbooks) // Lilly Pulitzer Large Notebook find these on clearance through Amazon

OTHER ESSENTIALS: Vera Bradley Brush & Pencil Case mine is still hanging in there after 3 years of use, shop the sale patterns or outlet stores to find them for less // Paper Mate InkJoy Ballpoint Pen, Assorted Colors, 8-Count the best cheap colored pens, use back-to-school coupons at Staples/Office Depot/Target to get them for even less // BIC Wite-Out Brand EZ Correct Correction Tape the least messy white-out option for keeping your notes looking flawless

 If you have any other quality supplies you like (and how to get them for less), be sure to share them in the comments!
     Happy school supply shopping,
     Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment